Friday, January 5, 2007

Is "Science and Health" Biblically Based?

A coworker of mine is a wild gal. I honestly never thought I would feel a spiritual connection with her. But I do. What changed? She's a brutally honest person, but I found out that she is a spiritual seeker and she has very respectfully asked questions about Science and Health. Man, I love good questions, don't you?

She asked me if the book Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures is biblically based. If you haven't heard of Science and Health, it's a wonderful work - I study it and I open it for inspiration daily.

I shared some quotes out of Science and Health (S&H) where the author Mary Baker Eddy shares how she feels the book is biblically based. (That sharing is further down.) My friend sent this response.

Thank you for caring about me. I’ve always enjoyed a good brain probing, and most subjects by my 30’s I have “talked out” Religion/Spirituality isn’t one of them. I have always been curious, but I want to learn at my own speed and not be judged if I don’t agree. I like that you aren’t pushy, you simply expose me to your beliefs. And I don’t have a lot of people in my life that are very spiritual or at least they don’t discuss that with me. I appreciate you selling/sharing me the S&H book to check out.

From Dan to ----

Your question about whether Science and Health is biblically based is a good one. I always sense in you that you are seeking the Truth. I like that.

-----, I don't care what you worship, what you believe, or where you worship. I do care about you and enjoy seeking the truth along side you. Most people have never heard of Christian Science. Those that have think it's Scientology. Some organized religions consider Christian Science unChristian, a cult, etc. wikipedia seems to be a good resource. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_science#The_Tenets_of_Christian_Science

Your question about S&H being biblically based prompted me to see what this book say about the Bible. Wow, too many citations! but on page 269:23 there is a marginal heading "Biblical foundations". Mary Baker Eddy says "I ... plant myself unreservedly on the teachings of Jesus, of his apostles, of the prophets, and on the testimony of the Science of Mind. Other foundations there are none. All other systems — systems based wholly or partly on knowledge gained through the material senses — are reeds shaken by the wind, not houses built on the rock."

On 109:13, the author talks about the three years after her instantaneous healing from the fall on the ice in 1866.

"For three years after my discovery, I sought the solution of this problem of Mind-healing, searched the Scriptures and read little else, kept aloof from society, and devoted time and energies to discovering a positive rule. The search was sweet, calm, and buoyant with hope, not selfish nor depressing. I knew the Principle of all harmonious Mind-action to be God, and that cures were produced in primitive Christian healing by holy, uplifting faith; but I must know the Science of this healing, and I won my way to absolute conclusions through divine revelation, reason, and demonstration. The revelation of Truth in the understanding came to me gradually and apparently through divine power. When a new spiritual idea is borne to earth, the prophetic Scripture of Isaiah is renewedly fulfilled: "Unto us a child is born, . . . and his name shall be called Wonderful.""

No comments:

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory